This Sports Illustrated book on tennis from 1958 has some invaluable tips for you gals allowed to play mixed-doubles with the man. The list is complicated, so I’ll employ some of my masculine leadership and type for you distaff players only what I judge to be the most important advice:
1. Let your partner serve first. It will make him feel that victory depends on him.
4. Wear the most becoming outfit you can find in your wardrobe, but don’t try to be too spectacular looking. The too intriguing costume can be as disconcerting to your partner as your opponent.
6. Compliment your partner generously but uneffusively when he makes a good shot. His ego is the key to his performance.
7. Don’t chat with the other players or bystanders.
8. Play the net uncomplainingly if your partner asks you to. He may have a reason.
9. Always play your best; men prefer to win.
Now, go have fun ladies. I insist.